Built in 1873 between Hart & Millers Island at the mouth of Back River, the Craighill Channel Lower Range Light, locally known as Millers Island Light, is 105 feet tall and is one of a series of lights marking the channel.

The four bases of the lighthouse are granite and support the iron & wood structure.  Originally manned fulltime, the lighthouse keeper's residence was elevated above the bay and was within the external superstructure where the lighthouse is painted white.  The residence was torn down in 1937, when the Coast Guard automated the light.

Easily recognized from both the land and bay, the Millers Island Light is a welcome site to visitors and an old neighbor to the North Point Peninsula!

Click here to see what the lighthouse keeper's residence looked like in 1923, courtesy of the Dundalk/Patapsco Neck Historical Society.

 
 

MyEdgemere.com, LLC
PO Box 41
 Ft. Howard, MD 21052
Phone & Fax 410-477-4388
Email:  info@MyEdgemere.com
Copyright 2002 - 2006 MyEdgemere.com, LLC
All Rights Reserved

 
 

Web Site Technical Services by:
Groton Consulting Services